Monday, 25 November 2013

Christmas!

I blame divorce!
Christmas changes forever when you get divorced.
It's never the same, there's all that who has the children on the 'Big Day' how will they get there, what if they don't want to go..............all of it not nice really............for anyone.
This was graphically demonstrated to me when my gang were still quite small. There I was enthusiasticly describing what we'd be doing on our Christmas (Boxing) day after they'd spent the first half of the holidays with their dad. Turkey dinner, crackers, flaming pudding the full works you know the score. When one of them piped up. "Really do we have to, that'll be the fourth Christmas dinner we've had!" 
Ahhhhh a penny dropped moment. 
You see divorce means the children are paraded from one set of parents to grandparents to step grandparents, step parents, the list is endless and for them slightly tedious, imagine all those sprouts!
That year we had curry.
And I had a think.
We came up with a new way to spend Christmas.
It started with the Christmas BBQ
And because we have mostly boys................
Brilliant and the added bonus of tiring them out!
They loved it, presents took a back seat, all that indoor time was exploded out of them and if I say so myself we made the woods look very festive in our hats!
The following year.
Same hats more people.
And a game of fugitive.........it's muddy and involves hiding up trees and under bushes.......s'all you need to know really.
And the infamous Wedgie Wall!
Brutal!

The following year the pace changed a bit, well alot really, we're just too old and those boys are too big to tackle anymore LOL!
So Christmas is now themed.
Again a genius way of avoiding any stress and angst. 
To date we've had.
Handmade.
Secondhand.
Edible/Drinkable
And this year
Green!
(Any definition you wish)
Everyone participates, it's hugely entertaining and actually less stressful!
We have had some stunning gifts in all categories, have a look at these.
Handmade blanket.

Tie and tankard courtesy Oxfam
Mmmm delicious honeycomb and chocolate truffles.


I think you can safely say we have created a tradition in our family and I love it. 

Wonder what this year will bring?
I'm looking forward to it enormously.The best part is not having to go near any heaving shops or get involved in any of that craziness, but just enjoy being together and cherishing each other.
Now that's a proper Christmas.
How do you cope with the festive season do you opt in or opt out? 
I'd love to hear about your own Christmas tradition.

Come back soon I'll be talking Christmas cake decorating..........
.............yeah it's not conventional!
Thanks for visiting my little world.
See you soon
♥Sue♥
















1 comment:

  1. What a great idea, and how lovely that you have turned a tricky situation into something that is such fun and so positive, and that might not have happened, but for the tricky situation! It's amazing what can come up in life sometimes isn't it. I hope that this year is just as good, if not better than before!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my ramblings and comment on them! I love to read all your thoughts and messages, they really inspire me and encourage me to continue my crafting adventures!